Saturday, April 28, 2007

b/c america isn't what makes us free...

I

In America
Christ only says, “forgiven!”
The idea that we’re
“cleansed from past sin”

But it’s more than just
A slate wiped clean;
It’s an end to slavery
A chance to be your true being

For me, the thoughts of others
Shape my actions
“What’ll they think of this?”
So the real me never happens

It’s also true for people
Who impose on others
“Hey, listen to me”
In their own selves smothered

Either way,
It’s something to prove.
One mask or another
So the real you doesn’t shine through

“I’m so cool,
People are lucky to know me,”
Or “I’m a screw up”
And other self-loathings

On one hand
The good qualities overshadowed by arrogance
or negative narcissism
Doesn’t give them a chance

The damage done
When we lust
Hurts those alone
And those who find luck

The mind expects all women
To open wide
That’s a lot of pressure
Just because a chick walked by!

And this goes out
To battle shyness
Look past their bodies
And try seeing their kindness

Guess what?
Then you wont be a pushover
You wont be a lapdog
In futile attempts to be her lover

The next step, of course,
For the trap of lust
Is taking advantage
Of someone’s body and trust

Women believe their beauty
Is their body as art.
They don’t even get a chance
To see their own heart

“You’re not pretty enough
And you don’t put out”
This barrage has caused
A moral draught

Humans only want
Their hearts accepted
But now both you and she
Are getting STD tested

Now let’s discuss we who need
Heart approval
Screamed by those captives of drugs
Or of being physically brutal

“Look at me,
I use self-medication”
Or whose attention-seeking
Has lead to killing, by escalation

These actions and attitudes
Are easily hooked
By the slave master Compensation
According to my psych-book

On a related topic,
The jailor Hate
How can anyone enslaved by this
Be so great?

“I’m mad because
You offended me!
You stepped on the toes
Of this human being!

“But wait,
Aren’t you human too?
It’s not like I’m great enough
To change the sky from blue.

“And think about all
The people I’ve crossed.
A penny I’ll pay for each-
Who could count the cost?”

When I hate
Or someone’s made me mad
I run their death
Over and over in my head

So if this was my world,
I’d give in to killing,
But, I mean really,
That’s not at all fulfilling

It’s always nice
To bring a smile
Or lighten the load
During a proverbial mile

So if you no longer
Wish to be captive
Then turn to the One
Who can let you live

He’s the One
Who heals the broken-hearted
And the One where
True Life started

It’s no longer
“me” or pride
But Christ, Who,
In my heart abides

It’s living in love,
Living for each other
Freedom for me
Not to be undercover

It’s more than just
A slate wiped clean
He’s the end of slavery,
The chance to be your true being

1 comment:

Chris Whitler said...

"the jailer, Hate"...I liked this...it reads like a rhyming mix between a Larry Norman song and Pilgrims Progress